Saturday 16 January 2016

Busy, busy...

When I was a proper grown up with a real job I prided myself on being ultra organised. I was a pretty good administrator. I knew what needed to be done and when it needed to be done. I was the go-to gal for info and advice. Despite my desk being piled high with every piece of paper known to man I knew where everything was.  

Need some stats? Give me an hour!

Want a report? I'm on it!

Well, that was the case for a lot of my career. It kind of tailed off towards the end, but that's another story...

These days I need to call out a search party to find the school permission slip which should have been in yesterday, and my inbox currently has 645 unread emails (most of them from Amazon, Next, Tesco et al.)

It's strange how we* define productivity. How our feelings of self worth are wrapped up in job titles and wage slips. How we berate ourselves for doing nothing all day when we've successfully managed to keep the kids alive.  (And given how much my 3 year old is fond of climbing, jumping and throwing himself backwards onto concrete, that's quite an achievement.)

Instead I spend my days getting the kids to the right places at the right time (time management), planning meals and doing the shopping (budgeting), managing my own and PTA social media accounts (marketing) and resolving brotherly arguments (peacekeeping and mediation). 

I ask hubby to bath the kids while I make the dinner (delegating and negotiation) and if he's not around I do it myself (working on my my own initiative and as part of a team). From time to time I have also been known to provide hubby with constructive feedback!

So regardless of whether you have a 'proper job' or not or whether you have kids or not, you do more than you think.

I'm a project manager, and so are you!

(*For 'we' read 'I'!)

No comments:

Post a Comment