Sunday 24 January 2016

It's a classic...

I finished reading The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood at 2am this morning.

I’m not usually up this late. Something to do with having slept during the day due to the Prosecco induced hangover from the night before, but the least said about that the better…

I’m not really a fan of the ‘classics’. A pretty bold and possibly unpopular statement I realise, but I much prefer to read contemporary fiction. I’ve never read the likes of the Bronte sisters and Dickens does nothing for me. There’s just nothing about the British aristocracy desperately trying to get married, or the trials and tribulations of Victorian society that holds much interest for me.

I’ve read other ‘classics’ (1984, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, War of the Worlds et al.) and have generally reviewed them as ‘OK’ - a solid 3 out of 5 stars. In the same way I watch 80’s classic movies and marvel at the so-called ‘special effects’, (The title sequence of The Running Man being a recently watched favourite) I read these ‘classics’ and see them as products of their time. They’re enjoyable but nothing to get excited about - maybe it's just me.

So, how old does a book need to be to be regarded as a classic? Published in 1985, The Handmaid’s Tale is described as a ‘contemporary classic’. It’s one of those that I’ve been aware of for years but been put off by its classification. A book that you study at school, rather than enjoy reading for pleasure.

I picked up a copy of The Blind Assassin (also by Margaret Atwood and a Man Booker Prize winner) at a second hand book sale recently and although I struggled with it for the first few chapters, I found myself slowly immersed in the story. The central character was fascinating if not likeable but Atwood’s writing was addictive and this led me to read The Handmaid’s Tale (purchased by hubby for Xmas - thanks!)

The Handmaid’s Tale is amazing. Powerful and absorbing, it’s the story of a young woman retelling the events that have resulted in her being assigned to a couple for reproductive purposes. It explores themes of ownership and power, the role of women in society and the dangers of curtailing individual freedoms in the name of the greater good.

Whilst not a comfortable read at times it’s one I would definitely recommend. Although written in the early 1980’s the themes explored are still worryingly relevant and Atwood’s writing is in places, scarily prophetic.

So, having read a ‘classic’ (albeit a ‘contemporary classic’) and enjoyed it, is it now time to ditch my fear of the 'classics' and broaden my horizons? To read dystopian fiction alongside historical fiction, to try a mixture of old and new, to read crime alongside chick-lit, mainstream Booker prize winners alongside indie authors?

Maybe I will pick up Jane Eyre one day, and maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised. I doubt I’ll stretch to 50 Shades though...

No comments:

Post a Comment