Saturday 6 February 2016

From Asterix to Zorro...

I remember graduating from the junior library to the senior library in my hometown and being vaguely disappointed. Whereas the junior library felt bright and airy with colourful rugs and posters, the senior library felt stuffy and grandiose.

The junior library introduced me to the likes of Asterix and Tintin, to Nancy Drew and the Famous 5. I remember being on a waiting list for Esio Trot by Roald Dahl and a stern looking librarian told me that I wouldn’t be able to renew as lots of other children wanted to read it. I went home and read it pretty much straight away, returning it the following week for the next lucky child in line.

We didn’t have a library card back then but little pouches made of orange card with your name on. Records weren’t computerised so the librarian would take the ticket out of the book, put it in the orange pouch and file it away until you returned. The book would be stamped with the return date and off you went.

I must have worked my way through the entire junior library and I loved it. The freedom to roam around the room and choose whatever book you wanted was liberating. We would go most Saturday’s to choose and exchange - wondering what I’d missed last week and filtering the selection down to two or three for this week.

The senior library was by contrast, quiet and echoey. The only sounds were shuffling feet and papers, the occasional muffled cough or sneeze echoing around the high ceilings.

The Young Adult section was tiny. Two, two-shelf bookcases configured in an L shape in the corner of the room.  The selection was made up largely of Sweet Valley High, The Babysitters Club and Judy Bloom books with the occasional Point Horror thrown in for good measure. The selection seemed geared to a stereotypical female teen audience primarily interested in horses, the latest high street fashion and whether Brad would invite Jess to the Prom.


My memory might be playing tricks on me but this is certainly how I recall it. It’s not really surprising that many teenagers (myself included for a short stage) were turned off books. I remember looking around the sci-fi/horror section in the senior library and being completely overwhelmed. Child friendly novels by Roald Dahl were replaced by huge tomes by the likes of Frank Herbert and Stephen King. Not that I was allowed to read Stephen King in my formative days. A sensible decision given that I had (and still have) a slightly sensitive nature and over-active imagination!

The books were intimidating. Tiny print on slightly damp yellowing pages. Huge hardback versions with serious covers and a vaguely musty smell. At the tender age of 11 or 12 I suddenly thought reading might not be for me anymore.

These days the Young Adult and Middle Grade markets seem to be expanding like never before and there are hundreds of choices for the 11-18 age category on every topic imaginable. There are more illustrated/comic style books to ease the transition from ‘junior’ to ‘senior’ and plenty of Young Adults books bridge the gap by appealing to a teenage and adult audience.

I wish these books had existed when I was an early teen. Libraries are no longer scary places for old men in smoking jackets, although those types still exist if that’s what you’re looking for. They’re welcoming places with book groups and baby sing along sessions, author talks and kids craft events.

I don’t take my kids to the library as much as I’d like. They’re incredibly fortunate to have access to a large supply of books at nursery and school and we have enough books at home to open our own mini library.  But I loved the freedom available at the library when I was young and libraries aren't just about the books, but about the experience.

We need to protect our libraries. We need to visit them and celebrate everything they have to offer . What better day to do it than National Libraries Day - Saturday 6th February 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment